Sunday, September 15, 2013

Bless the Rains Down in Africa

The aftermath of the mud fight

So far, my schedule the past two weeks has been very fluid and there hasn't been much consistency in my daily routine.  However, there is one thing that has been consistent throughout my time here so far--daily rain showers.  I can always expect an afternoon or evening rain shower each and every day.  It ranges from a short sprinkle to a torrential downpour.  Most of the time I look at the rain as a hindrance because I don't want to have to walk outside and get wet and muddy.  A couple days ago; however, Grace, Ariel, and I decided to make the most out of the afternoon downpour.  We ran through the rain and loaded up with ammo (handfuls of mud), and we waited for Cait to come out from a meeting.  Minutes later war erupted, and it turned into a huge mud fight in the middle of a large soccer field.  All the kids and locals were taking cover from the rain and laughing at us crazy people!  It was such a great afternoon and such a great bonding experience.  We are already planning to have many more mud fights in the future!

A lady we visited during outreach
My daily routine over the past week, like mentioned, has been a bit scattered, but I am slowly finding my fit here and I am loving every minute of it!  My morning are dedicated to the clinic.  I have been doing a variety of things like taking vital signs before the patients see the doctor, giving injections, bandaging wounds, and handing out medications.  Gradually I have started to explain to patients in Arabic how to take their medications.  Sometimes they actually understand what I am saying, but most of the time they just look at me like I am speaking a foreign language!  I spent a couple days this week in Maridi town at the main hospital to look around and see how it is run.  The nurses and doctors invited Grace and me back to work there a few days, so hopefully we will get that opportunity in the coming months.  I also went with one of the sisters to inquire about the hospital's Maternal and Child health (MCH) program.  We are hoping to get a program and maternity ward started in the next month or two so it is up and running for the new year.  I am so excited for this new addition!  So far, the clinic has been a nice way to ease back into the nursing role.  Next week will being a different story, though, because Friday was our doctor's last day.  So for the next couple of weeks to months, Sr. Meryline (a nurse), Grace, and I will be running the show.  Things will definitely pick up, but I am ready for a little bit of a challenge.  Classes have also been going much better than expected.  Somehow I survived my first week of teaching---thank you, Lord!  The students in my science class were supposed to turn in their first homework assignment on Friday, and I only had 4 out of 37 kids turn it in.  Over 10%, so I am taking that as a success!  Yesterday I went for community outreach with some people from the clinic.  We did a short health education talk then had a "mobile clinic" with basic supplies and care.  We are planning on doing this outreach each Saturday.  It is the perfect way to serve those who need it the most--those in the most remote villages who don't have access to any form of healthcare.  

After a downpour!
Life here is busy, but yet so simple.  I am constantly amazed at the sense of community and joy shown by the sweet kids each and every day.  I already have seen how I take so many things for granted--things as simple as a rain shower.  Although somedays I see the dark clouds rolling in and feel cool breezes against my skin and think "not again", I know after the downpour there will always be a bright rainbow shining above.  Such a simple reminder that God always brings beauty and light after a difficult class or busy day at the clinic.  Beauty and light through the kids, through my site partners, and through the community here.

Source--The title of this blog is from a song by Toto called "Africa."

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to see you so thoroughly immersed (in 2 senses, I guess) in your community and your mission, so quickly. God bless all of you.

    ReplyDelete